A client of mine recently reminded me of the name Esther Perel — a name that I started hearing last year and continue to hear among friends of mine, client’s, and colleagues. If you are in a relationship, regardless of whether it is extremely healthy, or has it’s many challenges, I highly recommend her podcast, "Where Should We Begin?"
To give a brief summary, Esther Perel has been a couple’s therapist for over 30 years, and is also an author and now podcast extraordinaire living in New York City. Her podcast has now completed two seasons and she is currently working on her third. Esther’s podcast consists of approximately 40-45 minutes of her work with real client's that is part recording of sessions and part her providing explanations about the couple or reason for a treatment decision.
Here are some insights from her podcast to consider if you are looking for some new perspective in your own relationship:
- No matter how different the couple on each episode is from you and your partner/significant other, you can always learn something about how to better your relationship.
- We often see perfect relationships portrayed in movies, on television, and on social media. Listening to this podcast shows you that all couples are flawed and have to work on bettering their relationships and bettering themselves.
- Initially, I thought that it would feel intrusive and odd to start to listen to real couples in their counseling sessions. I thought, "this is going to be so far from real-life, in the same way that the Real Housewives is." However, “Where Should We Begin?” is the exact opposite. Although many of the couples' issues were far from my real life, I could relate to every couple in some way.
- Even when the couple appears to be very dissimilar to you and your spouse, the principles and advice Esther gives may resonate with you and there are likely many parallels that can be drawn to your own relationship.
- This podcast reminds me that we all have backgrounds that have led us to where we are now and who we are in our current lives. Every relationship faces problems and conflicts and always will. To be in a relationship with no conflict or issues is not reality. “Where Should We Begin?” normalizes this and helps you to better understand ways to deal with these issues together as a couple.
If podcasts are part of your commute or daily routine, or if you’ve been thinking about starting to integrate them into your life, Esther Perel’s is highly recommended by many (Particularly if you are in a relationship or are seeking to make improvements in future relationships).
If you are interested in learning more about Esther Perel or her podcast, visit: https://www.estherperel.com/podcast.